Saturday, August 30, 2008

Fish Brains For Dinner Again, Mom?

Chris started us out last night by sharing an email he and the other speaker, Jeff Cash (this author's brother), had received from the FaithQuest leadership. In that correspondence, it basically instructed Jeff to focus on the storytelling role, while Chris is assigned the Biblical, analytical ("put the kids to sleep") role. Chris said he was thinking, "What kind of stories could come out of Texas?" But then he met Jeff. Jeff from Uganda. In Africa. "Oh great."

Johno introduced Jeff as a "master storyteller", and that is an accurate description. He is the most adventurous person I know and has the stories to match. One may even feel a little intimidated sharing in a conversation with him. Johno put it this way: "You say, 'Hey, I got this dog bite on my arm, and Jeff comes back with, 'Well, I once had a baboon climb into my truck where we got in a boxing match and it broke my ribs.' Or you start talking about your great mountain climb up Mt. Adams, and Jeff follows up with, 'I've climbed a mountain - Kilimanjaro. Ever heard of it? Avery Stafford wrote about it in a song.' 'I once had a fly drop into my coffee.' 'Fish brains.'

[apologies to Johno for inaccuracies in the quasi-quote]

Fish brains? Really? Yep. Even my little nephew, Isaac, has enjoyed the delicacy of fish eyeballs. You may ask yourself, "Why?! Why don't you just pass on the offer??" But here is what Jeff taught us today: If God calls me to eat fish brains in the name of Jesus, then I eat fish brains.

Jeff shared about meeting with a witch doctor who lived near the Nile River in Uganda. This man is known as "The King of the Unseen Spirits of this Dark World". Jeff & his friend Daniel met with this man and shared that they, too, are possessed by a Spirit - a very powerful Spirit. "Please do not pray for me," begged this witch doctor, who was terrified of the Spirit that possessed two kids from the West Coast.

Greater is He who is in me than he who is in the world.

No comments: